Monday, September 28, 2015

Teaching Teachers to Teach

This past Friday our class was given the opportunity to lead the professional development that the teachers are required to attend. We split up into two groups, one to talk about technology in social studies classes and one on science technology. I was in the social studies group and I covered the idea of implementing vertical learning using schoology discussions. I wanted the teachers to set up groups with both middle school and high schoolers to help each other learn. 

This was something I wanted to do because I don't like the idea of being tutored by people in the same class as me. I felt like they would look down on me for not being able to absorb information as well and I didn't was other people to experience this feeling. By setting up groups between younger and older students, they are given an outlet without feeling incompetent.

Going into the day I was a little nervous, since I had heard that teachers are the worst teachers, but once the teachers started to get there my nerves relaxed. My presentation went pretty well but I felt almost as though it was really short. I am really hoping that I got my point across even though I did spend that long talking about it.

The best part of the afternoon was seeing some of the teacher whom I haven't seen in years and catching up with them. One of my favorite teachers was there and she and I talked for a while and while it wasn't what we were actually supposed to be doing, it was awesome to see her.

I enjoyed leading the PD, and while it was really scary, the feedback we got was great and I'm glad the teachers were able to a the perspective of a student.

No comments:

Post a Comment