Friday, September 4, 2015

Thrown in with the Sharks

This week we worked as a class to develop our ideas by doing "Shark Tank" style presentations. In these presentations we explained what we we are doing for our projects in just about a minute or two, and the class asked us questions to clarify the details. My presentation was less about the "Day of the Girl" event and more so about the ideas I am trying to get across. People asked me questions about my opinions on certain things, and who exactly I am trying to target. This really helped me clear up my thoughts, and what I want to include in the event, booth wise, etc. I am hoping to get help from my schools feminist club to help me work the event and things of that sort, but the club was just approved by the school and hasn't begun meeting yet. I am also hoping to have found a mentor and contacted them by the end of next week. I'm thinking of looking into professors of local colleges and universities who teach gender studies or women's studies. 
Listening to other people's presentations was really cool. It's interesting to see what some people are really interested in, and I've even been suprised with some. I've known some of my classmates as long at 7 or 8 years, yet I keep finding out more about them. Some of the idea's brought up some tough topics, such as the differences in sexual orientation, and awareness of mental health, and I'm really excited to see how they go about this and how they go about talking about these issue's with high schoolers. I'm really impressed with everyone's ideas and can't wait to see how they play out!!

No comments:

Post a Comment